Sunday, October 30, 2005

True Security, the peace of God

I was inspired to write this blog by reading a column in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, entitled Security is an Elusive Mental Blanket by Philip Chard, a psychotherapist and regular columnist for the Sentinel.

Please read Philip's column by clicking on this link:

http://www.jsonline.com/lifestyle/advice/oct05/365340.asp

Dear Philip,

I rather enjoyed yesterday’s column on Security. I began tracking you right away when you emphasized “illusion” in your first paragraph. Illusion comes from the Latin ludere, meaning “to play, to mock.” An illusion is a mockery of truth. I began tracking you in the sense that a correspondence was set up in my mind between my terminology based on Jesus’ Course in Miracles and yours. “Small picture” is an illusion projected from within by a self that has no source in reality. It is an internal state of mind, the ego mind, projected to appear out there. When it seems to be out there, we make adjustments regarding money, relationships, and fixed patterns of behavior, not recognizing that we are responsible because there is no out there separate from in here, in the mind. There is only my mind. Since there is no out there, only in here, I have the responsibility of choosing to see from the “small picture” state of mind, or from the state of mind of the peace of God, the “big picture.” I also like the word “elusive” in the title; our focus out there on the “small picture” is an evasion of reality, of the truth.

The “big picture” is simply the recognition of a state of mind of the peace of God that is our natural inheritance as children of God. The recognition that the peace of God is shining in me now is seeing the “big picture.” This is our only security because any investment in the “small picture” is an investment in an illusion, a mockery of truth.

That’s why I like your paragraph that begins, “True security grows from an abiding faith. . .”

Now, I think you will find this incredible. Here is the title for the lesson for today from Jesus’ Course in Miracles, Lesson 299: Eternal holiness abides in me. Your use of the word “abide” is inspired. My mind, your mind, is the abode of God’s holiness. Here’s the lesson:

My holiness is far beyond my own
ability to understand or know.
Yet God, my Father, Who created it,
acknowledges my holiness as His.
Our Will, together, understands it. And
our Will, together, knows that it is so.

Father, my holiness is not of me.
It is not mine to be destroyed by sin.
It is not mine to suffer from attack.
Illusions can obscure it, but can not
put out its radiance, nor dim its light.
It stands forever perfect and untouched.
In it are all things healed, for they remain
as You created them. And I can know
my holiness. For Holiness Itself
created me, and I can know my Source
because it is Your Will that You be known.


These comments came to mind regarding the lesson in the context of your column.


My holiness is far beyond my own
ability to understand or know.

Holiness is synonymous with the “big picture.” We can know it by recognizing it, but we cannot understand it from the ego perspective.

Yet God, my Father, Who created it,
acknowledges my holiness as His.

The state of mind of the peace of God is an extension of God.

Our Will, together, understands it. And
our Will, together, knows that it is so.

My will is only to experience the peace of God, to look through the illusion and say, “This is not so.” Only the peace of God is so. The letting go of the “small picture” is forgiveness.

Father, my holiness is not of me.
It is not mine to be destroyed by sin.

“Sin” comes from the Aramaic, Jesus’ language, and it is an archery term. To be on the mark is to hit the target. To be off the mark is to miss, to sin. Isn’t that amazing! Sin has nothing to do with violating a church code; sin simply means to invest in the illusion.

It is not mine to suffer from attack.
Illusions can obscure it, but can not
put out its radiance, nor dim its light.

I am, you are, the light of the world. We are very holy.

It stands forever perfect and untouched.
In it are all things healed, for they remain
as You created them. And I can know
my holiness. For Holiness Itself
created me, and I can know my Source
because it is Your Will that You be known.

So, I begin each day looking forward to reading the lesson for the day. Today’s is 299, meaning the 299th day since lesson 1 on January 1, 2005. And how do you think Jesus helps us begin our great undoing, investing in the “small picture?” His first lesson title forces us to take a direct look at it, and say to ourselves: Nothing I see means anything.

So there you are. You fired me up. Thank you.

Take care.

To place this blog in the context of Jesus' teaching, please read my "Latest Article," entitled Yours is the Power of Decision on my website:

http://www.throughamirrorbrightly.com/

1 comment:

Kira said...

Hey Ray,
Way to go!!! Beautiful blog! Thank You!
I love you!
Kira

***Did you see my blog "The Return Of Jesus Christ Of Nazareth"?
Here's the address: http://www.thecourseinmiracles.blogspot.com